7.20.2006

God in a tanning bed.

Yesterday something profound and yet simple hit me. In a meager attempt to darken my frothy white complexion so as to be more appealing to Erika on our upcoming wedding day, as well as to not blind the photographer when taking our photos, I had made a spur-of-the-moment decision on Monday to try out a tanning bed. There is a stand-up one at the Bally's gym where I go regularly, so I decided to inquire about it and ended up signing up for a month of tanning. Sales gal did a good job, what can I say?

So yesterday I'm standing in the tanning bed, no bigger than a 4'X4' hectagon, and the following thoughts occur to me. I've never prayed in a tanning bed before. Heck, I've never been in a tanning bed before either. But I know God is here with me. So I started praying, talking to God. About my life, about my fears and hopes, about how I wanted to get a tan without burning, everything. It was awesome!

And the following verse came to mind later...

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."

Take that bolded phrase, insert any location that you can think of, and know that this statement is applicable to that place. God is there with you. Anywhere and everywhere. Whether you want him there or not. So why not make the most of it and talk to him? Next time you're in a tanning bed or anywhere else, try it out.

So I thank God that in my time of flesh-roasting I had him to talk to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home