9.24.2004

Jesus Understands

In Luke 7:11-17, Jesus stops at a funeral procession for a dead boy and revives the boy. Why does he do that? I know He does this for people to see that He is the Savior, but the Scripture also tells us that "When the Lord saw [the boy's mom], His heart overflowed with compassion." The only way Jesus' heart could overflow with compassion would be because He understands what the woman is feeling. The only way He could understand, truly, is by experiencing such pain and loss in His own life. Did He lose a relative? His earthly dad? A younger brother? His heart overflowed with compassion for this mother who had lost her son. Jesus understands us!!! We forget sometimes that He knows what we're going through...because He lived it. And his heart overflows with compassion for us! No matter where we've been. Good stuff.

2 Comments:

Blogger esteban said...

My friend Charlotte emailed me this response, so I'm posting it:

That is good stuff. I think for me when I became a parent is when I was hit for the first time with how much He loves us, both Jesus and God. How much His heart must overflow with love for us. If God loved His son as much as I love my daughter (and we know it's more) then how much must He love us to give His son for us? And how much did Jesus love His father and us to do what He did? I think of both Jesus and God's pain and heartbreak for us everyday, because They love us sooooo much. It even hurts to think about, but I guess the flip side is the great joy They receive from us as well, because They love us so much. Amazing, how the pain and love are so closely tied. I don't think there is anything easy about love, Maybe that is why so many marriages fail, everyone is looking for the easy love. But is the easy love worth it? God is all powerful and He doesn't choose the easy love..........He goes for the real thing, even if it comes with pain because it is worth it. If He only wants the best for us, then we need to want the love that comes with the pain too. We need to want it in our all of our relationships whether with Him, our children, our family, our friends or our spouse.

3:07 PM  
Blogger esteban said...

"God is all powerful and He doesn't choose the easy love..........He goes for the real thing, even if it comes with pain because it is worth it. If He only wants the best for us, then we need to want the love that comes with the pain too. "

I love that! What awesome insight. And adding onto that...I think of the song, "Blessed Be Your Name" where we sing,

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Thought there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out I turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord!

We need to be read to embrace what God has for us, both the easy and the hard love.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home